Wednesday, November 30, 2005

I'm a Snot

Factory.

Being sick is no good. Being sick during Thanksgiving is worse.

I could sort of taste my mom's home cooking, but didn't have much of an appetite. At least it was very good being home around family and funny peeps in the hood. That place gets mo' ghetto every time I go visit. Murders at the CornerStone Bar getting too close for comfort. The rents really need to move out of the city...

Springfield, MA "placed" in the top 20 most dangerous cities in America according to a report released just last week. Spfld would like to thank God, and of course its loyal citizens for this award. Special shout-out to drug dealers in the North End, and to the Latin Kings and Los Solitos. I'm sure I'm forgetting some rival inner city gangs, but it's been a while since I've officially resided there. I love Boston, but Springfield will always be "home" to me. The city would also like to thank Bill Cosby for his sincere help with some students and their college tuition. His benevolence is greatly appreciated and perhaps will help the city not to win this award in the future.

"Jimmy Hester and Loren Wilder, a pair of Putnam graduates who garnered national attention when Cosby offered to pay their college tuition after hearing how the boys made education a priority while supporting themselves throughout high school."

I knew it was tough growing up there, but I didn't think it was this bad. Lucky for me I befriended some gang members (sup Carlos & Eddie) at the Civic Center where we worked and they freely bestowed their protection on my gringa self (and gave me free Friendly's sundaes--such sweethearts those guys were). They also taught me some useful Spanish phrases like deja la hodienda and other choice words.

OVERALL: (350 cities)
MOST DANGEROUS 25:
1. Detroit, MI
2. St. Louis, MO
3. Atlanta, GA (Holla LadyLove)
4. Camden, NJ
5. Washington, DC (Holla Elizabeth)
6. Compton, CA
7. Dayton, OH
8. Baltimore, MD
9. Tampa, FL (Holla Brian and Gary)
10. Gary, IN
11. Memphis, TN
12. North Charleston, SC
13. New Orleans, LA (Holla Michael)
14. Richmond, VA
15. Trenton, NJ
16. Jackson, MS
17. Cincinnati, OH
18. Youngstown, OH
19. Cleveland, OH
20. Springfield, MA (Too many Hollas to shout)
21. Oakland, CA
22. Birmingham, AL
23. Miami, FL
24. Richmond, CA
25. Reading, PA

Mad props to Newton, MA for being named the safest city in America The city received the distinction as the Safest City by the Morgan Quitno Press, and it is based on our city’s rate for six basic crime categories: murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary and motor vehicle theft. This year there were no reported murders, and we had the lowest overall crime and motor vehicle theft rates among 369 cities with a population of 75,000 or more. Well at least I live right down the street from this safe haven, maybe the goodness will spill over to the Boston line...if only I could afford a first house there...

Props to my Somerville homeboy (that city also placed high on the danger list) who sent me this link that is sure to bring a laugh or two.

I'm out. Peace.

8 comments:

the lady love said...

This post had me laughing so hard I was crying. Seriously. And thanks for the shout out.

Holla.

Brian said...

You know, growing up in New Hampshire was dangerous too Princess. But lucky for me, Pedro offered me his protection when I needed it.

the lady love said...

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you that I was born in St. Louis, which takes the #2 spot on the list. I guess this ghetto life was meant to be.

Princess B said...

LL: Now you just have to move to Detroit--it's fate!

Bri: You caught my NapDy line. Nice job BrianSon.

Napoleon Dynamite: So, we're pretty much friends by now, right?

Pedro: Yes.

Napoleon Dynamite: So, you got my back and everything, right?

Pedro: What?

P.S. "Live Free or Die"
See the news today about the kid who brought a loaded .32 caliber handgun to school in NH? Maybe Manchester will make it up there next year...

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BOS10004/

Anonymous said...

Crystal, it's your friend from the history department. This freaking blog is my only source of updates. Send me an email.

Bored Housewife said...

Housing prices or no, I am insanely jealous of your location. Congrats on your recent wedding!

Great to meet you--

Princess B said...

Dan: Sorry bout that man. Things have been crazy. Hope you're keeping hydrated in my absence =)

Lisa: Thanks! I love Boston just wish housing prices weren't so incredibly inflated and had bigger yards, or at least A yard. It's all good though, we'll find something awesome I'm sure.

FYI: I feel it necessary to note that this Lisa is different from my sister Lisa who sometimes posts, and congrats to this Lisa for being chosen by the blogger Gods as being 'Notable.'

Princess B said...

An AfterThought:

I think it also helped me growing up in Spfld that I was guardedly nice and friendly. Though not a popular girl, I was friends with the popular girls, and with a last name beginning with "Ro" I was the only white girl in my homeroom, so I befriended a lot of Ramos', Riveras, and Rodriguezs. I guess going out with a 1/2 Puerto Rican, 1/4 black, 1/4 white football player may have helped too.