Friday, January 19, 2007

American Ahole?

I don't normally watch American Idol, but happened to tune in for the season premiere, which seems to have a lot of people talking about the appropriateness, or lack thereof, of the judges comments and behavior.

There's the argument that the contestants know what they're getting into and should expect harsh criticism from the judges so boo hoo on them.
Countered by the opinion that some of these people shouldn't even make it that far in the rounds and are only put on TV for sheer amusement and humiliation. Specifically, the contestants who appear to be mentally slow.
The View has been weighing in on this as well as various news reports. The View's Rosie O'Donnell stated, "I don't think America likes to watch people be ridiculed, made fun of, and called ugly monkeys."
One writer explains, "I find the freak show genuinely painful to watch.
The kids, the dreams, the parents, the tears — my God, isn’t adolescence and early adulthood hard enough without having to make a fool of yourself on national television?"

I think some of America does like the sadistic aspect of the try-outs, but I have to say, I watched it and though I couldn't turn it off, it wasn't because I loved to see these awful singers get ripped apart, but I watched in amazement at the psychological aspect of it. Some people who lack tone really don't know it, some just think they are "the bomb" and harbor a false sense of realism, and others know they are bad but either want to get on TV or play with Simon, Randy, and Paula (mostly Simon). Despite the multitude of reports that the show has an even meaner streak this year its executive claims, "I've actually had people say to me it seems Simon is somewhat toned down this year."

Some people think they should only put the auditions on that are outstanding or almost good enough to make it...

What do you think?

2 comments:

Boston Pam said...

I LOVE IT!!!!!

I am amazed by how many delusional people there are in this world. My favorite was a goth girl who was shocked they said no because she had like a degree in music...

Who are these people telling them that they are good? If it is the parents then they are doing their children a diservice. If it's the firends...well then they are not very good friends.

And I agree...they know what Simon, Randy and Paula are like and know what they are getting themselves into...that's Show Biz...so boo hoo on them!

I actaully find that is why most people watch the show. For the delusional, tone def and the socially sad. My co-workers will stop watching after the audtions because they don't care to see the competition.

Rosie...don't speak for everyone in America, OK!! We LOVE to see these people get ridiculed, made fun of and called ugly monkeys...especially since most of the time it's true and if their loved ones won't tell them...someone has to right!

There is a reason the ratings are the highest EVER!

Princess B said...

Ha--I knew if only one person answered this it would be you, singy magoo.

Oh and BTW, since we are such good friends I thought it only best I tell you how horrible a singer you are. I wasn't sure if I should, but when I read your comment I figured it's what friends do best (you know, the whole honesty thing). So there you have it, I only called you P. Idol one time referring to the pathetic audition people you resembled! Sorry to tell you my friend =)

P.S. I really don't want to sing karaoke with you anymore, it's quite embarrassing! When those people at the pub asked you to come back next weekend, it was only so they could have some more laughs at your expense.