Thursday, December 15, 2005

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

So maybe I'm biased since I was born around the Winter Solstice, but IMO this is the best time of year.

This is the time of year where the snow is fun and pretty. It's the time of year where just enough snow has touched the ground that you can still walk down the street without slipping on some black ice and falling on your toosh. It's the time of year where buying a Christmas tree with a little bit of snow and ice chunks on the top just makes it more authentic looking. This is when a good snowfall gets you excited not irritated; when little kids hope and pray for a snow day so they can miss school to go sledding at the neighborhood slopes. The time where ice skating at the Frog Pond in Boston Commons gives you goosebumps, and it's fun to blow your breath and see it. Where gloves, hats, mittens and scarves get to relive their glory days instead of being dark and lonely in the closet while you're on the beach in Hyannis.

This is the time of year when people in New England are still happy and smiling. When I'm still ok with the cold weather and not ready to fly to Tahiti just yet (I'll go there some day!). I still miss Hawai'i, but I can wait til next September to go there again and recapture all the pictures I lost. Anyone who knows me knows that spring is my favorite season, but Christmas is my favorite time of year. I guess I just like the promise of a new beginning, warm light, births...all that jazz.

What is your favorite time of year?

3 comments:

Boston Pam said...

Well everyone knows that September 4th (aka my birthday) is the BEST day of the year, but as far as time of year, well that would have to be from Thanksgiving to Christmas. I love Thanksgiving for turkey and football - and Christmas for the warm and fuzzy's. There is nothing like sitting in front of a Christmas tree with family.

Princess B said...

Speaking of sitting in front of the tree with family, I got your card yesterday--nice family portrait!

Still laughed at the card! I'm glad Santa doesn't think I'm ugly--thanks!

Sean said...

Uhm, uhm... I like Christmas the most. Actually, I like Christmas Eve! That's when I window shop for all the things I would like to see under my tree by morning and watch all the folks scramble to wait in line for an hour and 45 min. Fun, fun, fun!