Friday, February 09, 2007

A Sudden Death: I Love You Simba

We came home on the red-eye early Tuesday morning from Vegas to find Simba dead.
Our hearts are broken. He was literally the best cat I've ever had and probably ever will. Darla is also devastated, she was so frantic when we came home. Now she howls and mews at the loss. She is definitely a different cat. Traumatized and horrified to be alone. Even if we go out grocery shopping she is at the door crying when we come back. She is now very attached to us and won't let us leave her sight. There is definitely a void.

It was such a shock to come home to. It felt like someone kicked me in the stomach. Last time I called the sitter on Friday Simba was happy and purring. I was glad to hear that and missed my kitties even on vacation.
He's now buried down the street in the oldest working pet cemetery in the nation. I've lost many a cat, all special, but this has been the worst. We're doing our best to cope, yet I couldn't help but fight back tears when I heard The Lion King's "Circle of Life" as we left the supermarket.

Our family is smaller now, the house doesn't seem right, I keep waiting for him to sidle up to my leg and brush his head against it...



We love you Simba. We'll miss you always.

Rest in peace

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris, I'm so sorry about Simba. He was a great cat. I made a donation in his memory to the Pine Ridge Animal Shelter in Dedham. I think that's the one closest to you. Again, so sorry and I know you'll never forget Simba but I hope Darla will forget her grief in time.

Jen

Anonymous said...

I am very sorry to hear about your loss. Losing a pet is like losing a child..it is a terrible loss. I hope time will make it a little easier on all.

Princess B said...

Thanks you two.

Jen: that is such a sweet idea. That is the shelter I volunteer at, adjacent to the Pine Ridge Cemetery where Simba is buried.

Lis: Thanks so much for helping us look for new kittens. It feels too soon for us, but Darla's cries are awful to hear. I can only wish any kids we have far outlive us.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Take good care of yourself during this time of grieving. -Christina

Brian said...

Oh my God, that is horrible. I can't believe that!

We'll miss you Simba!

Love always,
Brian, Erica, and Brady