Friday, October 27, 2006

There's No Place Like...

So the Hub and I have joined the world of homeowners!

It's very exciting, and feels good to own our own place. We're having lots of fun decorating it and making it feel more like home. I would have to say that the most exciting home furnishing we purchased was our washer & dryer. One of our guy friends who bought a townhouse last year tried to say that it gets old quick when you realize it's still annoying having to do laundry, but I disagree. Laundry has gone from a chore to a treat. Will I some day share the view of said guy friend? Perhaps someday when there is more than 2 peoples' clothes to clean, but for now, I really don't mind it; it's leagues better than going to a public laundramat or, more often, lugging it 90 miles west.

The 2nd best new thing in the house is our king size BeautyRest. Oh baby, this is like heaven! I look at our old full size bed and wonder how we've survived so many years together. That thing looks so tiny now.

The latest addition to the place was a brand new sectional for the living room. After buying a new couch I am starting to really feel grown-up. Not that you need to buy things to feel like an adult, but it's weird like that. I love, love, love the sectional, and it has dual recliners--as if you didn't have enough room. It is sweet. The cats love it too and join us as we watch TV at night, everyone on their own cushion. We had to make sure to only look at certain colors so every piece of cat hair wouldn't show up as soon as they jumped on it. These kitties shed a lot, more than any other short-haired cats I've known.

The cats' acclimation to the new place is a story all its own, and for another day. Let's just say they hate all motor vehicles, actually anything with a motor really, especially vacuums.
Even though I miss the convenience of the city, it's hard to complain, really, since the Boston line is right down the street, and I still pass Comm. Ave every day to work, and see the T going by. That thing is so cute when you don't actually have to be stuck on it everyday for work.

One of the nicer benefits of our new home is that it is only a 15 minute drive to work. It took me longer to commute when I lived in Boston only a couple of miles away. It's funny how that works.

Right now, I am most excited about finally having kids come to trick or treat. Apartment complexes in Boston don't really get any Halloween visitors; they would tend to go to neighboring Brookline or Newton. Now we are in a cute little neighborhood with plenty of children, and even some wild animals. So far I've seen a wild turkey strutting across my lawn, a baby deer, and a little rabbit, as well as numerous types of birds and woodland creatures. Our neighbor's multiple birdhouses really drive the cats crazy! Who, by the way, are doing a great job losing that weight they had packed on from being cooped up in a small apartment. They love chasing each other up and down the stairs, and sliding across the hard wood floors. They're funny to watch!
My new neighbor, Dina, has a cute little dog who looks just like Toto.

All in all, I think everyone's happy here =)

You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light
Keep straight ahead for
The most glor ...
... ious place
On the face
Of the earth or the sky

Hold onto your breath
Hold onto your heart
Hold onto your hope
March up to the gate
And bid it open--

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations again on your new home! ;-)

Princess B said...

Thanks Lis!

Good luck on your search!
=)

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I can't wait to be able to decorate and have a place to really call home! It must be such a great feeling!